Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Holly McFadden



The phone call was from my friend, Ann, who I was happy to hear from; then she told me that Holly McFadden was murdered last week. She was stabbed to death by a male friend. We were good friends for awhile, then drifted apart as we both changed jobs and I hadn't seen her in about seven years. But I just can't believe it. I'm in total shock. Now, she is just a name in a little article in her local newspaper, but she was bigger than life to many people. Everyone thought of her as happy and vivacious. I knew her as being sad and lonely. We met when we were both teaching computer courses for the North Vancouver School District. We were teaching adults in a Job Training program. She was very generous. One summer, she decided to throw a big party for all of our students. She arranged to have a make-up artist, a reflexologist, masseur, and a lot of other "stations" in her backyard, along with a barbecue. She really wanted to be good to people.

I was there when her marriage broke up. And then she started seeing one of her students. It wasn't as if he was young and she was old - they were both adults. But everyone looked down on her because of that. She was very confused at that point in her life and often looked to me for guidance. She also had MS to deal with every day, which wasn't easy. Most people didn't know that. I don't even know if she has family. She moved to Harrison Hotsprings and was teaching nearby. The newspaper says that she was killed by a male friend. I sometimes wonder how and why do friends drift apart. Do we all have people in our lives for a certain reason and only for the time that we or they need it? If everything happens for a reason, I really don't understand why murder happens. Did she die immediately or was it long and torturous? I do hope that she is now at peace. Holly, who was like Alice in Wonderland, rest in peace. After I found out, I wanted to do a quick painting of how I remembered her. I didn't do an exact or even near exact likeness of her, but this, to me, was what she was like inside. I wonder if that tear ever went away.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello:
I am Holly McFadden's sister. Sidney Robinson was not a friend of Holly's but an aquaintance. He came to her house on 29 June, demanded money, and when she refused he stabbed her. When a neighbour offer help he threatened to kill him. Robinson has been charged with 2nd degree murder and his trial for her murder will be in the Chilliwack Court starting on 9 March, 2009. Holly was a generous, kind, loving sister and I miss her everyday. I am now living in her house in Harrison Hot Springs, I too, am a single woman living alone. Holly was very concerned with violence against women, women's rights, and was happy as a single women living independantly. I pause everytime I open her door, but I open the door...

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Rich said...

.....years later I find out about this , how horribly sad this makes me feel .
I too was once blessed with Holly's love and kindness , we had a short lived friendship but like others just drifted apart .
I miss her and now even more .
She certainly didn't deserve this noone does .
She touched so many lives as an instructor at BCIT her students loved her .

Rich

Murray said...

Hi Char. It is Murray. The student. I just found out today about Holly. I think of her often, and so today i typed in her name to see if i could find some news and hopefully a picture of her. A beautiful picture yes. That' s our Holly. But sad news. You are correct when you say that she was sad and lonely. We had a great deal of happiness and i loved her dearly and she me. You were also right when you told me that it wasn' t the right thing to do. I ended our relationship because of that. She told me once that no one had ever loved her as much as i did. I believe that to be true. I miss her. Very nice to see your picture as well. mankrom@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hello. Is this Gail? I am murray. I just found out about Holly. I am still in shock. She was such a lovely woman and i loved her dearly. I hope this finds you well.

I would like to find out where she is buried. I want very much to see where she is resting and to spend some time there. Could you let me know please. I would love to hear from you.

mankrom@hotmai.com

Thankyou

Anonymous said...

this is incredibly sad. I was her assistant when I was her student at Kwantlen. I think of her often and decided to look her up today. I'm very sad I won't be able to drop it to see her on a trip to Harrison like I had planned.
I miss your kindness, your constant guidance and loving smile.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

OMG I JUST FOUND ABOUT HOLLY AS ANOTHER SCHOOL FRIEND HAD SAID SHE HEARD SHE HAD PASSED BUT DIDN'T KNOW. I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THIS. HOLLY WAS A FANTASTIC TEACHER THAT I HAD AT LUCAS CENTER MANY YEARS AGO. IF HADN'T BEEN FOR HOLLY I DON'T KNOW HOW I WOULD HAVE MADE IT THROUGH. R.I.P. HOLLY
KARA